Sunday, December 10, 2006

A Hot Tub and a Mini-Bar

Being a Disabled Parent means you fall into a loophole. When I use my subsidised taxi scheme for people with mobility restrictions and I ask for a taxi with a baby seat for Sofia (it’s illegal for her to travel without one) they treat me as though I were asking for a limousine with a mini-bar and a hot tub. Ironically, the local taxi firm used by the scheme does actually have a lot of baby and child seats because they also work for the Council’s Education Dept driving Special Needs children to school. When I call them directly and ask for one there’s never a problem. But when I speak to the central booking service they always tell me it’s an impossible request. Their first response is disbelief that a person like me could take the liberty of reproducing, outrage that I could be so demanding, in my already parasitic position as a cripple, as to require additional special treatment.

No comments: